Thursday, June 12, 2008

Our Family Traditions

I have been reminded this week how important traditions are and how they are carried on. The reminder came in the form of a phone call. It was Jarell's scoutmaster asking if I was really going to bring pizza for the whole troop next week at scout camp. I started laughing and said, "What day do you want it delivered and how many boys will be there." The scoutmaster seemed surprised that I was really planning on doing it. I almost changed my mind when he told me there would be 20 boys and their leaders. I assured him we would have pizzas to them on Thursday. After I hung up I started to laugh and had to tell Dan he may not be getting very many pizza's in the staff area this year, since 10 had to go to the troop.

This experience has caused me to reflect on how our traditions get started. I believe the first time we took pizza to scout camp was when Jeremy and Josh were going. I told them before they went to camp planning meeting that I would help with the food. They volunteered me to take pizza up that year much to the scoutmaster's and my surprise. It was kinda fun though, walking through camp like we were doing pizza delivery. I've been doing it every year since. Jarell has heard the stories and I guess he figures its up to him to keep the tradition alive.

This year I'll be taking up 10 pizzas to troop 906 and 4 to the staff, one each for Dan, Jayd, Joel and Sade. They'll all share, or (as Jon did) sell them by the slice.

When people ask what family tradition we have, I don't even think of the scout camp pizza run, but how many years does it take to make it tradition? This will be year 12.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your page. I had just read Becky's, and learned her surgery was successful, and finished. Then I went to yours. What wonderful and clever people you are. I love you muchly!
Mom J